About Bagley for Senate
Shawn Bagley is a Democrat running for State Senate in the 12th District which spans across six counties in the heart of California’s vibrant farmland. The district includes all of Merced and San Benito Counties, 80 percent of Madera County, 53 percent of Monterey County, and parts of Fresno and Stanislaus Counties.
With the current drought and the slow economic recovery in California, Shawn understands that our families are going through an extremely challenging time. Mendota is facing a 60 percent unemployment rate this summer; Hollister is fighting for better parks and jobs against pressure to start fracking; Salinas Valley is drying up while partisan legislators continue to bicker over water policy; and Merced’s shovel-ready development projects are still waiting for high-speed rail legislation to move forward. As a life-long public servant and produce broker for over 30 years, Shawn will demonstrate a stronger voice for the people of the 12th District.
Shawn resides in Salinas, CA, with his wife Marjetka, and enjoys spending time with his five grandchildren.
- “Humanitarian of the Year” from the Salinas Jaycees (Junior Chamber of Commerce) in 1992 in recognition of Shawn leading the Hurricane Andrew Relief support effort.
- As a produce broker at Fisher Procurement, Shawn organized California’s agricultural community to provide fresh fruit and vegetables in support of the victims of Hurricane Andrew. The initiative organized truckers, farmers and shippers to donate fruits and vegetables from all over California to distributors in Florida who would deliver them direct to the victims. Over 2,000,000 pounds of product was transported from growing districts in California all the way to Florida.
- Awarded as “United States Jaycee Ambassador” by the US Junior Chamber of Commerce #2979
- Awarded as “International Jaycee Senator” by the US Junior Chamber of Commerce #52789
- Awarded “Key Member” by the Salinas Jaycees 1989-90
- Selected participant in US Air Force “Connections”, the interdisciplinary conference on conflict simulation in 1995 at the Air Command and Staff College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
- Board Member appointee of Governor Brown to the 7th District Agricultural Association (Monterey Fair Board)
- California Democratic Party, Executive Board
- Democratic National Committee, Elected Member
- Salvation Army, Salinas Valley, Former Treasurer
- Salinas Jaycees (Junior Chamber of Commerce), Former President
- California Junior Chamber of Commerce, Former District Director
- Salinas Valley Democratic Club, Former President
- Cherry Jubilee, Former Community Outreach Leadership Committee Member
Shawn graduated with honors with a BA in World Military History from American Military University in Manassas, Virginia.